Find Objects by Property

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Edited Oct 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I'd love to see the ability to find a set of objects with certain properties...  This could be partially achieved by enabling property name/value filters on the "Enumerate Objects in OU" object (instead of just the current object name filter), but that constrains you to a particular OU.  While that'd be useful, it might be better to add something like a new "Find Objects by Property" object which takes a base OU to do a subtree search from and allows you to add property name/value filter pairs.  Then you could, for instance, search for all users named "Joe".  Better yet, allow filtering with multiple properties, such as for all users in the Sales department also in the state of Texas, etc.  This should be for any type of object (such as OU, computer, or custom class), not just for users.  (To be honest, I'd prefer to be able to supply a full LDAP search filter, but that may be out of scope.)

As it is now it's very cumbersome to have to iterate through all objects to read properties and then filter down to the objects you really want...  Thoughts?

...MC

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Hey Mike,

Being able to supply a full LDAP search filter is not out of scope at all and is a feature that would be pretty easy to implement.  I do also like your 'Find Objects by Property' object idea as well (for people who are not as comfortable writing LDAP queries).  I will look at making both of these objects.  Thanks for the suggestion!