Set Object Property Value Bug

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Ryan,

When using the "Set Object Property Value" funtion of you OIP i am unable to get the workflow to change a value of a particular object. The workflow reflects a success however the value is never changed and replicated throughout Active Directory. I have tested the output of the workflow pieces by appending the steps and input/outputs of the steps to a log file using the append line to text file option and everything appears to be configured properly. I attempted to change both a single value attribute and mutli value attribute. My end goal it to be able to change a multi value attribute to extend a workflow for our user onboarding process.

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Ryan,

Let me do some testing around this.

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I was failing to call commitchanges() after I updated the object property.  This is fixed in my development code.  Note, 'set object property' only works on single value properties.  To update a 'multi value property' you will have to 'remove multi value property' then 'add multi value property' (Does this make sense???).  I am also going to look into extending the functionality of these objects to deal with some of the 'com objects' (like pwd last set etc etc)

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Ryan,

Thank you for updating this and I look forward to possible extensions to the functionality. In regard to the multi value property. Are you saying that its not possible to edit a multi value property with your Set Object Property Value piece? Or that there is a specific way i have to do it to get it to take?

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Hey,

Currently 'Set Object Property' and 'Add Object Property' are both broken (I have the fix in the development code I am testing right now and will re-release by the end of the day today).  With that in mind, what I was reffering to with the multi-value properties is a generic challenge.  Think about this, we have a multi value property that has 3 properties currently set (MemberOf for example)

The 'Set Object Property' has no way of knowing which instance of MemberOf you want to update is.  What we have is 'Add Multi-Value Property' which will add a new value so this allows us to set MemberOf to

Which is fine, good and usefull, but what if what we really had wanted to do was change the 'samgroup' to 'newgroup'?  With my next release I am going to add a Remove Multi Value Property Instance object so then you can remove a 'MemberOf' where the Property Value equals 'LDAP://cn=SamGroup,ou=groups,dc=contoso,dc=com ' then 'Add Multi-Value Property Instance 'LDAP://cn=NewGroup,ou=groups,dc=contoso,dc=com' which would make the list equal

Does that make sense??

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Yeah, that makes perfect sense, sounds great, I look forward to trying it out!

Thanks,

Ryan

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM

If your interested in the changes (and why the object were not working for you / always returning success) you can check out http://opalisadextension.codeplex.com/SourceControl/diff/file/view/6899?fileId=78024 to see the source code change that I made.  Essentially I was setting the property before but never actually telling active directory that my local version of the object had been updated. 

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Ryan,

Updated IP is now available.